Do you love spending time outdoors fishing? If so, you know that a baitrunner reel is an essential piece of gear. But what are baitrunner reels, and what do they do?
In this blog post, we will answer those questions and more! We will discuss the benefits of using a baitrunner reel and provide some tips on choosing the right one for your needs. So what are you waiting for? Read on to learn more about baitrunner reels.
What Are Baitrunner Reels?
A baitrunner reel is a fishing reel that allows you to leave your bait in the water while waiting for a fish to bite. The baitrunner feature enables you to do this by letting outline when a fish takes the bait.
This way, you can continue to fish without checking your line constantly. Baitrunner reels are a great way to increase your chances of catching a fish, and they can be used in both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
There are many different types of baitrunner reels on the market, so it is important to choose one right for you. Consider the type of fishing you will be doing and your budget, and what features are most important to you.
Baitrunner reels can be a great addition to any fisherman’s tackle box. If you are looking for a way to increase your chances of success when fishing, consider investing in a baitrunner reel. You won’t be disappointed.
How Does a Baitrunner Reel Work?
A baitrunner reel is a fishing reel that allows the angler to feed line out automatically without cranking the handle manually.
The baitrunner feature is engaged by a lever or switch and, when set, will release the line from the spool as needed.
This can be extremely helpful when trying to fish with live bait, as it allows the fish to swim away without feeling any resistance.
It also allows the angler to set the hook with ease, as there is no need to Crank the handle to get the line back onto the reel.
Baitrunner reels are an essential piece of tackle for many anglers and can be a great addition to any fishing setup.
What Type of Fish Can You Catch with a Baitrunner Reel?
There are many different types of fish that can be caught with a baitrunner reel. Some of the most popular include bass, trout, and catfish.
These reels are designed to help anglers cast their bait out further and more accurately than traditional reels. Additionally, baitrunner reels allow for live bait to be used, which can effectively attract fish.
There are many different types of baitrunner reels on the market, and they come in a variety of sizes and price points. Therefore, it is important to research before purchasing one to ensure that it is the right size and type for your fishing type.
It is also important to read reviews to understand better how the reel performs in real-world conditions.
Where Should You Use It for the Best Results?
You can use a baitrunner reel in both fresh and saltwater. The most common type of fishing to use this reel for is bottom fishing. This is because the line tension is set very low, so when a fish bites, the line will come out easily without tearing the hook out of the fish’s mouth.
You can also use this reel when fishing with live bait. The baitrunner reel will keep the bait alive longer because it won’t be struggling against the line tension.
This type of reel is also good for trolling because you can set the drag to a very light setting and then let the fish tire itself out before you start to reel it in.
If you’re looking for a versatile reel that can be used in various situations, then the baitrunner reel is a good option for you. It’s easy to use, and it will help you land more fish.
How to Set Up and Use a Baitrunner Reel for the First Time
You may not have heard of baitrunner reels if you’re new to fishing. They are a type of reel designed for use with live bait.
Baitrunner reels have a special drag system that allows the line to be released when a fish bites, making it easier to land the fish.
First, you’ll need to choose the right line for your baitrunner reel. The line should be strong enough to handle the weight of the fish you’re hoping to catch.
Next, attach the line to the spool of the reel. Be sure to leave enough line on the spool to be easily released when a fish bites.
Now it’s time to set up your baitrunner reel. First, adjust the drag knob to the lightest setting. This will release the line more easily when a fish bites.
Next, tie a small loop at the end of the line. This loop will be used to attach your bait. Finally, thread the line through the eyelets on the rod and reel it in until the bait is in position.
Why You Need a Baitrunner Reel for Your Next Fishing Trip
A baitrunner reel is a type of fishing reel that allows the angler to set the drag on the reel so that bait can be easily taken without constantly keeping tension on the line. This reel type is often used when fishing for larger fish, such as salmon or trout.
There are two main types of baitrunner reels: center pin and spinning. Centerpin baitrunner reels are the more traditional type of reel while spinning baitrunner reels are more popular among anglers who fish for smaller fish, such as panfish.
Baitrunner reels can be a great addition to your fishing arsenal, no matter what type of fish you are targeting. If you have never used one before, try renting or borrowing a reel from a friend so that you can see how it works.
You may prefer the convenience and ease of use that baitrunner reels offer.
The Benefits of Using a Baitrunner Reel
There are many benefits to using a baitrunner reel when you go fishing. Such as:
- You can use the lighter line.
- The drag is set automatically.
- You can fish with live bait more effectively.
- It helps to reduce the chance of getting your line tangled.
These factors combined make baitrunner reels an essential tool for any fisherman, whether you are a beginner or a pro.
The Top 5 Baitrunner Reels on the Market Right Now
If you’re an avid fisherman, you know how important having the right gear is. We’ve put together a list of the top five baitrunner reels on the market, perfect for any fishing enthusiast.
The Shimano Baitrunner D is a great choice for a baitrunner reel that won’t break the bank.
This reel features a secondary drag system that allows free spooling with the bail closed, so your bait can move naturally.
Additionally, the Shimano Baitrunner D utilizes an oval oscillation gear with a consistent spool speed, resulting in an even line lay that provides excellent casting and manageability.
This reel also includes Dyna-Balance technology, which effectively minimizes wobble during the retrieve by balancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness while reducing vibrations generated by the reel. Finally, the Shimano Baitrunner D has a maximum drag of 20 pounds.
These features make the Shimano Baitrunner D a great choice for those looking for a high-quality baitrunner reel without spending a fortune.
- This classic live bait reel features a secondary drag system that allows free spooling with the bail closed and allows your bait to move naturally
- Utilizes an oval oscillation gear that provides a consistent spool speed which results in an even line lay that provides excellent casting and manageability
- Better casting, better line lay, less backlash wind knots or tangles, less friction on the line, larger, more comfortable grips, a higher max drag as well as a wider range of Baitrunner settings than its predecessors
- Offers Dyna-Balance technology that eliminates wobble during the retrieve by counterbalancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness while eliminating vibrations caused by the reel
- Max Drag: 15 lbs. / Gear Ratio: 4.8:1. / Weight: 13.5 oz. / Line Retrieve: 28" / Bearings: 3BB + 1RB â PowerPro Line Cap: 15 / 270, 20 / 190, 40 / 145 â Mono Line Cap: 8 / 240, 10 / 200, 12 / 160
- Secondary drag system
- Oval oscillation gear
- Dyna-balance technology
- Max drag: 20 lbs.
- Allows free spooling with the bail closed
- Provides a consistent spool speed
- Eliminates wobble during the retrieve
- Enhances sensitivity and smoothness while eliminating vibrations caused by the reel.
- Affordable option for a high-quality baitrunner reel.
If you’re looking for a great baitrunner reel that won’t break the bank, then the Shimano Baitrunner D is great. This reel offers a variety of features that make it a great choice for any fishing enthusiast.
The Piscifun Carnivore X baitfeeder spinning reel is one of the most powerful and durable baitrunner reels. It is high-end graphite and features a triple premium carbon drag system.
The Carnivore X also has a braid-ready spool, making it an ideal reel for saltwater fishing. In addition, the power handle makes the use of the reel easier and greatly improves the comfort of the grip.
The Piscifun Carnivore X baitfeeder spinning reel is an excellent choice for anglers looking for a durable and powerful baitrunner reel.
- 【Unmatched Strength and Power】Crafted with high-end graphite, the Carnivore X Baitfeeder spinning reel is built to handle a variety of fishing techniques. With top-class carbon fiber washers, it delivers up to 26.5lbs/12.5kg of drag power for ultimate control.
- 【Smooth and Precise Performance】The precise cut gearing system ensures smoothness and performance, while triple premium carbon drag washers provide Carnivore X spinning reel ultimate smooth drag operation when battling big fish.
- 【Dual Drag Functionality】With classic front and rear drag functions, the Carnivore X baitfeeder style fishing reel also features an adjustment drag on the main body for quick resistance adjustments. It's built to handle both freshwater and saltwater fish with incredible durability.
- 【Braid Ready and Extra Spool】The forged and machined aluminum spool is braid ready, eliminating the need for mono backing when spooling braided fishing line. Plus, the free extra graphite spool gives you an extra option.
- 【Ergonomic and Comfortable】All models of Carnivore X batirunner fishing reels come equipped with a large T-shaped rubber handle, making it easier to use and improving the comfort of the grip.
- Made of high-end graphite
- Triple premium carbon drag system
- Braid ready spool
- Power handle for improved comfort and grip
If you are in the market for a baitrunner reel, the Piscifun Carnivore X should be at the top of your list. It is an incredibly powerful and durable reel that will give you the performance you need to land big fish.
In addition, the Shimano Baitrunner OC spinning reels are constructed of XT-0 material designed for saltwater usage.
They’re built to endure any saltwater fishing excursion and are sturdy and long-lasting. For live bait utilization, these reels include the baitrunner function.
The long-standing king of live bait spinning reels, the Shimano Baitrunner continues to improve with each new model.
The Baitrunner feature lets you free spool with the bail closed, employing an adjustable secondary drag, and it can be flipped off instantaneously when you are ready to set the hook and bring the fish in.
The XT-0 graphite frame and rotor provide exceptional strength and rigidity while cutting down on weight.
Other assets include Dyna-Balance rotor control, cold-forged aluminum spool, an oversized power roller, Propulsion Line Management system, fluid Drive 0 gearing system, Super Stopper II anti-reverse system, Direct Drive Mechanism, and Varispeed Oscillation system.
This spinning reel is a great choice for saltwater fishing. It is durable, has a baitrunner feature, and is made with XT-0 construction.
- Retrieve: Reversible, Gear ratio: 4.8:1
- Line capacity mono lb/yds: 10/300,12/265,16/170, Line capacity PowerPro lbs/yds: 30/245,50/210,65/130
- Weight: 19.2 ounce
- line retrieve per crank: 35 inch
- Bearings: 3 S ARB, dragforce: 20 lbs
- 12+lb drag power
- baitrunner feature
- XT-0 construction
The Shimano Baitrunner OC spinning reel is great for your next saltwater fishing expedition. It is durable, has a baitrunner feature, and is made with XT-0 construction. So get yours today, and be ready for your next big catch.
The Daiwa Black Widow Baitrunner Reels are top-quality reels with great features and performance.
These reels are designed for various target species, including carp, eel, and zander. They are also packed with great features like infinite anti-reverse and Airbail.
The three ball bearings and additional roller bearing make these reels extremely smooth and durable.
The Black Widow Baitrunner Reels are available at 500 intervals between 3500 and 5000. They are finished in a stunning all-black color that will look great on any fishing rod.
Daiwa has been producing world-class reels for over 60 years, and the Black Widow Baitrunner Reels are a great example of their quality and craftsmanship.
Order your Daiwa Black Widow Baitrunner Reel today and experience the difference.
- Reelsize: 3500, Gear Ratio: 4.6:1
- Line Capacity: 8 lbs / 280 yds, 10 lbs / 240 yds, 12 lbs / 220 yds
- Line Retrieve: 31 Inch
- Weight: 16.60 ounce
- Max dragforce: 18 lbs
- Three ball bearings
- Additional roller bearing
- Infinite anti-reverse
The Black Widow BR is supplied with a bail spring that lasts a lifetime, so you can be certain that this reel will stand up as long on the bank.
The standard Black Widow BR has an aluminum spool and handle, and the handle knob is made of soft-touch rubber. The reel also comes equipped with a high gear ratio.
This reel’s capacity to endure whatever you throw at it, whether a huge carp or a ferocious eel, is unquestionable.
The Mitchell MX-FS Baitrunner Style Fishing Reel is a versatile and reliable reel perfect for the beginner or recreational angler.
This reel comes in various sizes and gear ratios, making it versatile enough to tackle any fishing situation. In addition, the MX-FS features a free spool system, which allows the line to run off the spool in a controlled and low-resistant way.
This reel also features a strong reinforced ABS graphite body construction, double black anodized aluminum spool, and diecast foldable graphite handle.
The MX-FS is a great choice for anglers who want a versatile and reliable reel that can handle any fishing situation.
The Mitchell MX-FS Baitrunner Style Fishing Reel is a great choice if you’re looking for a versatile and reliable reel. This reel can tackle any fishing situation with its various size and gear ratios.
The free spool system also allows for controlled and low-resistant line release, making it a great choice for beginners or recreational anglers.
- Reliable and smooth - The multi-disk drag system in the front of the reel ensures a smooth line take while fighting the fish. The 2+1 quality stainless steel ball bearings make the reel rotate buttery smooth. Thanks to the parallel line lay oscillation system, the line is always neatly spooled on to the spool.
- High-performance robust design - strong reinforced ABS graphite light weight body construction, double black anodized aluminium spool with line clip, diecast foldable graphite handle with T-shaped rubberized handle knob. Strong aluminium bail wire and inside the reel you find a strong Zinc alloy pinion and drive gear set.
- Free spool system - The MX1 spinning reel comes with Mitchell's proven free runner system (also known as free spool, live liner, bait running systems). This is a free-spool feature that can simply be engaged by flipping the small lever on back of the reel. It allows the line to run of the spool in a controlled and low-resistant way without opening the bail.
- Multi-purpose use - These carp reels have been designed with fishing for carp in mind, but are real allround super stars. Thanks to the free spool function these fishing reels are also great for deadbait fishing for pike and zander. And on the river they are very well suitable for species like barbel and chub.
- Comes in various sizes and gear ratios - 4000 with a gear ratio of 5.1:1 and 5500 / 6500 with 4.9:1. Ideal for the beginning or recreational carp, coarse and feeder angler.
- Free spool system
- Various size and gear ratios
- Strong reinforced ABS graphite body construction
- Double black anodized aluminum spool
- Diecast foldable graphite handle
The Mitchell MX-FS Baitrunner Style Fishing Reel is a versatile and reliable reel perfect for the beginner or recreational angler. This reel can tackle any fishing situation with its various size and gear ratios.
The free spool system also allows for controlled and low-resistant line release, making it a great choice for beginners or recreational anglers.
So, there you have everything you need to know about baitrunner reels and why they’re such an important tool for anglers.
With their ability to keep your bait in the water for long periods and their smooth drag system, baitrunner reels are a must-have for anyone serious about fishing. So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and give them a try.