When does camping season start? It’s a question that many people ask themselves every year. The answer is different depending on where you live. In some places, it starts as soon as the weather gets warm enough to camp outside without freezing your butt off.
There are more specific rules about when camping season officially starts and ends in other places. Lucky for us, we’re going to cover both scenarios in this article so you can be prepared no matter what happens.
What Is the Best Time of Year to Go Camping?
Campsites open in April and May when many people arrive for the summer season. The weather is nice, the bugs aren’t too bad, and you want to beat the summer rush.
As soon as it gets warm enough for camping around your area, get out there. Even if it’s only once or twice at first. You don’t have to go far or stay long – take a little trip with some friends before all of the good spots are taken.
Some states have specific opening and closing dates for camping season if you’re looking for a little more structure. For example, here in California, we can start camping anywhere from April to October, but usually, people stick to the warmer months.
The summer months from mid-June to mid-August are generally the most popular times to go camping for many people. So if you’re lucky, you’ll get to enjoy those long summer nights.
Camping in Spring
If you’re one of those people who likes to get an early start on the camping season, spring might be the time for you. The weather is usually mild, and there are fewer bugs than in the summer.
However, some campsites may not be open yet, or they may be filling up quickly because it’s getting close to summer.
Camping in Summer
Camping in summer is a great way to get outside and enjoy nature. You can go camping at any time of year, but there are some advantages to going during the warmer months. For example, it’s easier to find campsites when they aren’t covered by snow.
And if you like swimming or fishing, summer is your best bet for finding warm water and fish that haven’t migrated away from shore yet. Plus, many people like spending their vacations on beaches rather than mountains in wintertime!
Camping in Fall
Fall is the perfect time of year to go camping. The weather is still warm, but there’s a chill in the air that makes it feel like autumn.
You can enjoy all of the fun activities that come with camping without dealing with summer heat and humidity. Plus, this is one of those times when you can appreciate nature at its finest – because it’s not covered by snow!
Camping in Winter
Winter camping can be a lot of fun – especially if you’re the type of person who likes to ski or snowboard. The weather is usually cold, but there are also fewer people around so you can enjoy peace and quiet. Just be sure to pack plenty of warm clothes.
What Is the Best Time of Day to Go Camping?
The best time for camping is usually in the afternoon and evening because it’s getting dark soon anyway.
The morning hours are good, too, though – many people like to wake up early and start exploring or fishing as soon as the sun comes up.
It depends on what you want to do while camping and how much daylight you want to have for activities.
If you’re looking to set up camp, cook dinner and go to bed early, then nighttime is probably your best bet. But if you want to stay out later and explore your surroundings, try going during the day.
Top 10 Tips to Prepare for Camping Season
Now that you know when camping season starts, it’s time to start preparing. Here are some tips you can use to make the transition into camping life as smooth and easy as possible.
– Pack your bags: Start packing up all of your supplies weeks before camping season starts. If you wait until the last minute, it’s going to be a lot harder than if you start early.
Even though we’re telling you that April is the perfect time to start preparing, you can start packing at the beginning of March.
– Clean your gear: Make sure all of your camping equipment is in good condition and ready for use. Check that there’s nothing wrong with it, like frayed ropes or sharp edges on tools. If something seems worn out, replace it before taking a trip.
– Get your supplies: This is probably the most important part of preparing for camping season – make sure you have all of the necessary supplies. Besides tents and sleeping bags, some essential items include a first aid kit, cooking supplies, food, and water.
– Plan your route: If you’re going to be driving to your campsite, you’ll need to know where you’re going. Look up the location on Google Maps and try to figure out how long your trip is going to take!
– Clean your car: Before taking a road trip, it’s important that your car is in perfect condition. This weekend before camping season starts, take some time this weekend and give it an extra thorough cleaning. Vacuum the seats, clean the windows and make sure there’s enough gas in the tank.
– Check for permits: Depending on where you’re going camping, you may need a permit. Make sure to check all of the regulations for your campsite before packing up and leaving – it’ll save you from having to turn around later!
– Pack snacks: If you’re going on a road trip, make sure to pack plenty of snacks and drinks for the drive. It’ll help keep everyone happy and fed along the way.
– Plan your meals: Speaking of food, you’ll also need to plan out your meals for the trip. Make sure to bring enough food for everyone and choose dishes that are easy to cook on a campsite.
– Pack your entertainment: When you’re not eating or sleeping, you’ll want something to do. So make sure to pack books, games, cards, and anything else that will keep you entertained.
– Check the weather: Before leaving for your trip, make sure to check the weather forecast. That way, you’ll know what to pack, and you won’t be surprised by any sudden storms.
Are there any winter camping options?
If you’re not quite ready to give up camping season just yet, a few winter camping options are available. First, check out state parks that offer yurts, cabins, or heated shelters – they’ll keep you warm and cozy all night long.
You can also go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in the morning and then retire to your heated shelter in the afternoon. Just make sure to pack plenty of warm clothes and blankets.
What is the Best Time to Visit State Parks?
The best time to visit a state park is going to depend on what you’re looking for. If you want the most variety in weather, then summer and spring are probably your best options.
You’ll get long days with plenty of sunlight and fun adventures during the day. Fall makes for gorgeous photos, but it’s also one of the busiest seasons, and you might have trouble finding campsites.
Winter is a beautiful time to visit state parks, but some do close in the colder months, so be sure to check before making plans.
When Does the Season for Camping End?
Camping season officially ends on November 15th. But if you can’t bear to let go of your favorite outdoor activities, there are plenty of winter camping options available.
When Does Camping Season Start? (FAQs)
How Much Does it Cost to Camp in a National Park?
Camping in a national park can range from free to $30 per night, depending on the park and the type of campsite you choose. There are also a variety of passes available that offer discounts on camping fees.
Why Is It the Best Time to RV Camp in the Summer?
The summer is the best time to RV camp because the days are long, and the weather is usually mild. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to explore nearby attractions and take day trips.
Is It Illegal to Camp Anywhere in the US?
It is not illegal to camp anywhere in the US, with a few exceptions. For example, it is illegal to camp on federal land within 100 miles of a nuclear facility. Always check local regulations before pitching your tent.
What States Have No Camping Fees?
A few states don’t charge camping fees, including California, Oregon, and Arizona. However, most state parks require you to pay for your campsite, so be sure to bring cash or an acceptable form of payment when visiting!
After reading this blog post, you should now have a better idea of when does camping season starts and ends. Use these tips to plan your next adventure in nature, and make sure to plan whenever possible. Have a great time and be safe out there.